and exit regulations of China
A valid passport and visa are required for an individual to enter
China. Usually the airline/ship will give each passenger an entry
card and a customs declaration form to fill out prior to arrival.
These, together with other necessary credentials and documents,
are needed to enter China through its open ports. Foreigners arriving
by car are required to enter China through their pre-approved ports.
Upon arrival, valid passports, visas and related documents are required
to be handed in and verified by customs authorities. If all documents
are found to be in proper order, an individual can legally enter
1. Those who enter China are required to fill out a Health Declaration
Form issued by the inspection and quarantine authorities.
2. Those who came from yellow-fever infected areas must show valid
vaccination certificates to the inspection and quarantine authorities.
3. Those who suffer from fever, diarrhea, skin diseases, jaundice,
vomiting, AIDS/HIV infection, VD (venereal disease) and tuberculosis
are required to declare this information.
4. Medications and other special goods should be declared and are
subject to inspection.
The following personnel are prohibited from entering China:
1. People who have broken Chinese laws and others who were expelled
and have not been permitted to re-enter China.
2. Known or suspected terrorists and those who engage in violent
and subversive activities.
3. Known or suspected dealers in contraband, drug trade, or prostitution.
4. People who suffer from Hansen's disease (leprosy), AIDS/HIV,
VD (venereal disease), pulmonary tuberculosis and other infectious
5. People who cannot afford the cost of their stay in China.
6. People who are known or suspected to engage in activities that
are harmful to China's social order and national security.
7. Those who do not hold valid passports, visas and other credentials.
8. Those who hold stolen, forged or altered passports, visas and
9. Those who refuse to have their credentials and documents checked.
10. Those who are forbidden to enter China by the Ministry of Public
Security of China and the Ministry of State Security.
Inspection and Quarantine Information for Entry into China
1. Blood and blood products.
2. Fruits, peppers, eggplant and tomatoes.
3. Animal carcasses and specimen.
5. Pathogens, pests and other harmful organisms.
6. Live animals (except cats and dogs as pets).
7. Animal parts and products including eggs, raw hides, skin, hair,
hoofs, fat, meat (including viscera), fresh milk, cheese, butter,
cream, whey powder, blood and blood products; silkworm pupa and
aquatic plants and animal products.
8. Genetic materials including semen, zygotes and embryos.
9. Waste materials and soiled or dirty clothing.
Stipulation by the General Administration of China Customs
1. Various weapons, simulated weapons, ammunition and explosive
2. Counterfeit currencies and forged securities.
3. Books, magazines, other printed matter, films, photographs, music,
movies, audio/video tapes or discs, computer programs or discs that
contain materials harmful to Chinese politics, economy, culture,
and moral interests.
5. Opium, morphine, heroin, hemp as well as other addictive narcotics
and psychotropic drugs.
6. Food, drug or other goods coming from epidemic disease areas
and are harmful to the health of human and livestock.
Note: Limited amounts of certain goods, for example: cigarettes,
tobacco products, perfume, liquor, currency, presswork and audio-visual
products for private use, are permitted to enter duty-free. Others
may be allowed for entry after being passed by the inspection and
There are two channels in Chinese customs: red and green. Choose
the Red Channel if you have something to declare, otherwise choose
the Green Channel.
On departure from China, foreigners should exit with their valid
passports, visa, credentials and other documents checked by the
frontier inspection office and have their hand-carried baggage examined
by Chinese Customs. In addition, they are required to fill in a
Departure Card for Foreign Travelers. Remember that you should exit
China within the valid and permitted duration of (stay) visa. Those
who hold other valid credentials for staying in China, should exit
China within the period of validity prescribed on the credentials.
If such credential-holders plan not to enter China again, the credentials
for staying in China will be revoked by the frontier inspection
officer when exiting.
Foreigners Prohibited From Exiting
1. Defendants in criminal cases and suspects who are ratified by
the Chinese public security organizations, the People's Procuratorate
or the People's Court
2. Those who are informed by the people's court that their civil
cases have not been brought to completion
3. Those who have already violated Chinese law; whose behavior has
not been dealt with but is recognized by the legal authorities
4. Those who hold invalid exit credentials, including forged, altered
or another's credentials
5. Those who refuse the frontier inspection of China
6. Those who do not exit through the appointed exit port
7. Those who are considered to be carrying contraband goods
8. Those who are forbidden to exit by the Ministry of Public Security
and the Ministry of State Security of China
Items Prohibited From Exiting
1. Various weapons, simulated weapons, ammunition and explosive
2. Forged (counterfeit) currency and forged (counterfeit) securities
3. Presswork, roll film, photographs, phonograph disc, video disc,
tape, video tape, laser video disc, laser audio disc, computer storage
medium and other items that are harmful to Chinese politics, economy,
culture, and social morals
4. Various deadly poisons
5. Addictive substances, including, opium, morphine, heroin, hemp
as well as other narcotics and psychotropic drugs
6. Priceless relics and other museum pieces whose export is prohibited
7. Endangered plants and their specimens, seeds as well as the materials
Items with Limitations On Exiting
1. Bullion and its products
2. Chinese Currency (less than 6000 Yuan)
3. Foreign currency and(less than 5,000 US dollars in cash)
4. Wireless communicators and communication security machines
5. Valuable traditional Chinese medicinal materials
6. Common cultural relics
7. Other articles that are forbidden to exit by Chinese Customs
Notes: Articles that are permitted to exit China with certain limitation
may be allowed to exit after a declaration to the inspection and
quarantine authorities. If you carry these duty-required items with
you, please choose the Red Channel to go through and have them declared
and checked. You can choose the Green Channel without customs declaration
only if you carry duty-free goods.